Search This Blog

Friday, August 5, 2011

My In-Laws Visit

This coming weekend my in-laws are visiting and I always like to have a great supply of food on hand for all of my out-of-town guests. So here goes...


EGGPLANT PARM:
For a big part of our main course, I am making garlic bread, pasta, and eggplant parm!!

I start by making the sauce. You can use a jar, but it's more expensive and NOT as delicious. 

For my sauce, I start by putting olive oil in the bottom of a pot. I saute some minced garlic. I add two or three cans of crushed or pureed tomatoes, depending on how I want my sauce. And you can choose however you want as well. You can also get canned whole tomatoes and puree them yourself. Then I season to taste with salt and pepper. Feel free to add any and all spices and herbs you make like. If I'm feeling like spicy, I put a little bit of crushed red pepper or if I want a different taste, I put fresh basil. 




Then take some eggplant and slice them THIN. If you don't like the skin, you can peel it off. I keep it on.


Then dredge the slices in egg and flour and FRY BABY FRY!!

Get a rectangular pan and layer it with sauce, cooked eggplant, sauce, mozzarella cheese. And just keep layering it! You can freeze eggplant parm for a while and it defrost great. You can also make it a few days ahead of time and it stays fantastic in the fridge!!


RED VELVET CAKE BALLS:
And now for dessert, we are having something that, I personally think, will be one of the next biggest crazes along with the Loli Pop Cake Ball. But anyway... 

 Make a red velvet cake, cool it, crumble the entire cake, and mix it with cream cheese. Then roll it into balls using a small ice cream scooper, which will help make the balls uniform. 


Then dip them in chocolate. DONE!




I haven't tried these before, but they seem pretty good. They will be easy to eat- no forks or plates, just a napkin (and some MILK!)! This is a very rich and delicious dessert. I hope everyone enjoys it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment